Friday 16 September 2016

Patriotic Vibes #001




I come from the “Papua” part of “Papua New Guinea”
But people don’t know of the Papuan part or the New Guinea part
They only know Papua New Guinea

They don’t know that there are four regions
"So ask me where I'm from and I'll tell you I'm from PNG." ~Hally~
To which our looks and languages and customs differ
They only know we are uniquely diverse

They don’t know some of us have afro hair and while others have curly or straight hair
Or that our skin colours differ from black, white and brown
All they know is that we are Melanesian

That’s why I choose not to confine myself to particular provincial group
Because you then develop an ethnocentric mentality

So ask me where I’m from and I’ll tell you I’m from PNG
Because at the end of the day I write down my citizenship as being a Papua New Guinean 
NOT a Papuan

#PNGUP

September 14th2016

No comments:

Post a Comment