Sunday 27 March 2016

Day 3: What Drives Your Life?



Ecclesiastes 4:4 –
“Again, I considered all travail, and every right work, that all for this a man envied of his neighbour. This is also vanity and vexation of spirit.”

The man without a purpose is like a ship without a rudder-a waif, a nothing, a no man.” (Thomas Carlyle)

Everyone’s life is driven by something. So how about mine? Is my life driven by a problem? Pressure? Or a deadline? A painful memory, a haunting fear, or an unconscious belief. There are hundreds of circumstances, values, and emotions that drive our lives. Here are some;

Guilt – we sometimes spend our entire lives running from regrets and hiding shame that we feel. But people that are driven by guilt are manipulated by memories. We allow the past to control our future and punish ourselves unconsciously by sabotaging our own success. When Cain sinned his guilt disconnected him from God’s presence and God said, “You will be a restless wanderer on the earth”. This is a classic description of people today who are wandering without a purpose.

Yes, we are products of our past, but that does not mean that we have to be prisoners of it. God’s purpose for me is NOT LIMITED to MY PAST! If he could turn a murderer named Moses into a leader and a coward named Gideon into a courageous hero, then surly He can do amazing things with my life, for God specializes in giving people a fresh start! J

“What happiness for those whose guilt has been forgiven! … What relief for those who have confessed their sins and God has cleared their record?”

Anger and resentment –
Sometimes, there are some hurts that we hold on to that we never get over. Instead of us releasing pain through forgiveness, we rehearse it over and over again in our minds. People who are driven by resentment either internalize their anger or take their anger out on others. But both responses are unhealthy and unhelpful.

But resentment will hurt me more than the person that I resent; because the chances are that the person that has offended me has forgotten and moved on in life. And here I: in pain, perpetuating the past.

Those who have hurt you in the past cannot continue to hurt you now unless you hold on to the pain through resentment. My past is past! Nothing will change it. I am hurting myself bitterness. So for my own sake, I should just learn from it, then let it go.

Fear – sometimes fears are a result from a traumatic experience, unrealistic expectations, growing up in a high-control home, or even genetic predisposition. Regardless of the cause, fear-driven people often miss great opportunities because they are afraid to venture out. Fear is self-imposed prison that will keep me from becoming what God intends for me to be.
I MUST move against it with the weapons of faith and love. Fear is crippling, but it is banished by love – the LOVE of GOD.

Materialism – this is when our desire to acquire becomes the whole goal of our lives. It is when you always want more based on the misconception that having more will make you more happy, more important and more secure, however all these are untrue. Possessions are only temporary happiness, things do not change, eventually we’ll get bored of them and what newer, bigger and better versions.

Self-worth and net worth are not the same. Your value is not determined by your valuables, and God says the most valuable things in life are not things. Having more money will not make you more secure, wealth can be lost instantly through a variety of uncontrollable factors. Real security can only be found in that which can never be taken from you: your relationship with God.

Need for approval – I should not allow the expectations of my parents, or future spouse or children or teachers or friends control my life. Many adults are still trying to earn the approval of unpleased parents. While others are driven by peer pressure, always worrying by what others might think, unfortunately those who follow the crowd get lost in it.

I don’t need to know all the keys to success, but all I need to know is that trying to please everyone is a step towards failure. Being controlled by the opinions by others is a guaranteed way to miss God’s purposes for your life. No one can serve two masters.

There are many other factors, but these all lead to the same dead end: unused potential, unnecessary stress, and an unfulfilled life.

But a purpose driven life – a life that is guided, controlled and directed by God’s purposes. Nothing matters more than knowing God’s purposes for my life, and nothing can compensate for not knowing them – not success, nor wealth, fame, or pleasure. Without a purpose, life is motion without meaning, activity without direction, and events without reason. Without a purpose, life is trivial, petty, and pointless.

Nothing matters more than knowing God’s purpose for my life, and nothing can compensate for not knowing them.

BENEFITS OF LIVING A PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE:
1.       It gives meaning to your life – without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has no meaning. Without meaning life has no significance or hope. The greatest tragedy is not death, but a life without purpose. Hope is essential, and we need hope to cope. Wonderful changes are going to happen in your life as you begin to live it on purpose!
2.       Life is simplified – what I do and what I do not are defined by me knowing my purpose. My purpose sets my standards to evaluate which activities are essential and which are not. Without a clear purpose you have no foundation on to base your decisions, allocate time and use your resources. My choices would be made rather cased on circumstances, pressures, and my mood at that moment. People who don’t know their purpose try to do too much – and that causes stress, fatigue and conflict. It is impossible for me to do everything people what me to do, because God gave me time to fulfil His purpose, and trying to do more than that means that I’m trying to do more than what God has intended for me. A purpose driven life leads to a more simpler lifestyle and a saner schedule.
3.       Focuses on your life- it concentrates all your effort and energy on what’s important. And you become effective by being selective. Without a clear purpose, you will keep changing directions, jobs, relationships, churches, or ecternals – hoping each change will settle the confusion or fill the emptiness in your heart; but it doesn’t solve my real problem – a lack of focus and purpose. In order for my life to have an impact on those around me, I need to focus it and stop dabbling! And I need to stop trying to do it all! I need to do less. Prune away even the good activities and only do the ones that matters the most. I mustn’t confuse activity with productivity. Because, I can be busy without a purpose, but what’s the point?

Let’s keep focuses on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us”

4.       It motivates your life – purpose produces passion. But passion dissipates when you lack purpose, that even getting out of bed becomes a major chore. It is usually meaningless work, not overwork, that wears us down, saps our strength and robs our joy.
5.       Prepares you for eternity – many people spend their lives trying to create a lasting legacy on earth. They want to be remembered when they’re gone. Yet, what ultimately matters most will not be what others say about your life but what God says. What I have failed to realize is that all achievements are eventually surpassed, records are broken, reputations fade and tributes are forgotten.

Given enough time, all your trophies will be trashed by someone else!

 Living to create an earthly legacy is a short-sighted goal. A wiser use of my time is to build an eternal legacy. I was not put on earth to be remembered, but to prepare for eternity. One day we will all stand in front of God to give an account of our time here on earth, and we will each answer two main questions:
·         What did you do with my Son, Jesus Christ? God will not ask about religious background or doctrinal views. But rather whether you have accepted what Jesus sis for you and if you have learned to love and trust Him? Jesus said, I am the Way, the Truth and the Light. No man cometh to the Father, but by Me.
·         God will ask, what did you do with what I gave you? This refers to all the gifts, talents, opportunities, relationships and resources God has given me. Did I spend them on myself?? Or did I use it for God’s purpose for me? The first question will determine what I will spend eternity and the second question will determine ehat I do in eternity.

Point to ponder:
Living on purpose is the path to peace

Verse:

 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” (Isaiah 26:3)

Question to consider:

What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want it to be?

(Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren)

No comments:

Post a Comment