Thursday 31 March 2016

DAY 6: Life is a Temporary Assignment





Psalm 39:4
LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.

I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.
( Psalm 119:19)

Life here on earth is a temporary assignment.
Life is described as a mist, a fast runner, a breath, and a wisp of smike.

To make the most of my life, I must always remember these two truths: First, compared with eternity, life is extremely brief. Second, earth is only a temporary residence, I will not be here for lone, so I shouldn’t get too attached. I need to ask God to help me see life on earth as He sees it.

“Lord, help me to realize how brief my time on earth will be. Help me to know that I am here for but a moment more.”

The Bible constantly reminds us that this is not our home, that we are only here temporarily, we are living in a foreign country and this is not my final destination. Real believers understand that there is far more to life than just the few years we live on this planet.

My identity is in eternity, and my homeland is in heaven. Is yours? When you grasp the truth, you will stop worrying about “having it all: on earth.  God is very straight forward about the danger of living for the here and now and adopting the values, priorities, and lifestyles of the world around us. When we flirt with the temptations of this world, God calls it spiritual adultry.
“You are cheating on God if all you want is your own way…you will end up becoming an enemy of God and His way.”

Imagine if you were asked by your country to be an ambassador to an enemy nation. You would probably have to learn a new language and adapt to some customs and cultural differences in order to be polite and to accomplish your mission, you would have to have contact and relate to them.

Suppose you became so comfortable with this foreign country and you preferred it to your homeland. Your loyalty and commitment would change. Your role as an ambassador would be compromised. Instead of representing your home country, you would start acting like your enemy. You’d be a traitor. We are Christ’s ambassadors.

Sadly, many Christians have betrayed their King and His kingdom. They have foolishly concluded that because they live on earth, it’s their home.

“Those in frequent contact with the things of this world should make good use of them without becoming attached to them, for this world and all it contains will pass away.”

Compared with other centuries, life has never been easier for much of the Western world. They are constantly entertained, amused, and catered to. With all the fascinating attractions, mesmerizing media, and enjoyable experiences available today, it is easy to forget that the pursuit of happiness is not what life is about. Only as we remember that life is a test, a trust and a temporary assignment will the appeal of these things lose their grip on our lives. We are preparing for something even better.

“The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever.”

The fact that earth is not our ultimate home explains why, as followers of Jesus, we experience difficulty, sorrow, and rejection in this world. It also explains why some of God’s promises seem unfulfilled, some prayers seem unanswered, and some circumstances seem unfair. This is not the end of the story.
My identity is in eternity, and
My homeland is heaven
In order for us to not feel too attached on earth, God allows us to feel a significant amount of discontent, dissatisfaction in life-longings that will NEVER be fulfilled on this side of eternity. We’re not completely happy here because we’re not supposed to be! Earth is not our final home; because we were created for something much better.

A fish would never be happy living on land, because it was made for water. An eagle could never feel satisfied if it wasn’t allowed to fly. I will never feel completely satisfied on earth, because I was made for more. Yes, I will have happy moments here, but it will be NOTHING compared with what God has planned for me. J
“All that is not eternal is eternally useless.” (C.S. LEWIS)
It is a fatal mistake to think that all that God has planned for me is material prosperity, or popular success , as the world defines it. The abundant life has nothing to do with material abundance, and faithfulness to God does not guarantee success in a career or even a ministry. NEVER FOCUS ON TEMPORARY CROWNS.

Paul was faithful, yet he ended up in prison. John the Baptist was faithful, but he was beheaded.
Millions of faithful people have been martyred, have lost everything, or have come to the end of life with nothing to show for it. But the end of life is not the end.

In God’s eyes, the greatest heroes of faith are not those who achieve prosperity, success, and power in this life, but those who treat life as this temporary assignment and serve faithfully, expecting their promised reward in eternity. Your time on earth is not the complete story of your life. You must wait until heaven for the rest of the chapters. It takes faith to live on earth as a foreigner.

A missionary was returning home on to America on the same ship as the president of the United States. Cheering crowds, a military band, a red carpet, banners, and the media welcomed the president home, but the missionary slipped off the ship quietly unnoticed. Feeling self pityand resentment, he began complaining to God. Then God gently reminded him, “But my child, you’re not home yet.”
 You will not be in heaven two seconds before you cry out: “Why did I place so much importance in things that were so temporary? What was I thinking? Why did I waste so much energy, and concern on what such temporary things?”

Christ is worth the effort, remember you are not home yet. At death you won’t leave home you’ll GO home.

Earth is not my final home;
I was created for
Something much better


Point to ponder on: This world is not my home
Verse:
“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (2Corinthians 4:18)
Question to consider:
How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignment change the way I am living right now?


No comments:

Post a Comment