Thursday 24 March 2016

Day 1: What on earth am I here for?



It all starts with God… (Proverbs 11:28 & Colossians 1:16)

The purpose of me being alive is more than my own personal fulfilment, my peace of mind and even my happiness. It is greater than my family, career, wildest dreams and ambitions. It all begins with God, for I was born BY His purpose and FOR His purpose
 My search for purpose in life was all wrong, I centred it around me: What I want to do with my life; what do I want to be; my goals, ambitions and dreams for the future. And I found nothing. I found that I was still lost, confused, unsure and always changing my views.
“It is God who directs the lives of his creatures; everyone’s life is in his power”
 But I could not possible know the meaning of life because: I did not create myself. Hence, the relationship between an inventor and his invention; the invention could possible not know what he was created for, only the inventor would.
I now understand that my life purpose begins with my Creator, and that I only exist because it is His will. “I was created by God, for God.” if we never come to understand this, life will never make sense. Only in God, the Creator can we uncover our origin, our true identity, our meaning in life! Our purpose! Our significance! And our destiny! Because all other paths will lead you to a dead end
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to understand why you were created? Why you are the way you are, why you are in the situation you are in, and to come to know the true meaning of life and at last to know your purpose in life?
I must avoid trying to use God for my own self-actualization because I will be doomed for failure. I was made for God, not vice-versa and life is about letting God use me for his purposes, and not the other way around.
“Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life.”
 Being successful and fulfilling your life’s purpose are not the same thing. You could reach your personal goals and become successful according to the world’s standards, and still miss  God’s purpose for you. We need more then self-help and positivity, and inspiration, and good words and positive vibes.
“Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way…to finding yourself, your true self.”
We must learn to do less in life by focusing on what matters most. Life is about becoming what God created you to be.


How do you discover the purpose you were created for?

1.       SpeculationThis is what most people choose. It is basically philosophy. People’s opinions as to the meaning of life
2.       RevelationThis is when we turn to God’s Word to know more about life. The easiest way to discover the purpose of a creation is to ask it’s creator. The same is for your life purpose: Ask God
God has already revealed His purposes for our lives in the Bible. The Bible is life’s manual on earth, it explains why we are alive, how life operates, what to avoid, and what to expect in the future. He is not only the starting point of discovering your purpose, but He is the Source of life. We must turn to God’s Word to discover out purpose, not the world wisdom.
My life should be built on eternal truths, and not earthly philosophy, success-motivation or inspirational stories. To find your purpose:
1.       You discover your identity and purpose through a relationship with Jesus Christ
2.       God was thinking of you long before you ever thought of Him.
3.       The purpose of your life fits into a much larger, cosmic purpose that God has designed for eternity.

R          E          F          L          E          C         T          I           O         N        
·         A point to ponder – it’s not about me
·         A verse to remember  “For by him were all things creates, that are in heaven , and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him and for Him. (Colossians 1:16)
·         A question to consider – in spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God and not for myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment