Sunday 27 March 2016

Day 5: Seeing Life from God’s View




What is your life? (James 1:14b)
We don’t see things as they are
We see them as we are
-Anais Nin-

The way I see my life shapes my life. How I define life will determine my destiny, my perspective will influence how I invest my time, spend my money, use my talents and value my relationships.

One of the best ways to understand people is to ask them, “How do you see your life?”  you will discover that there are many differences to the question, just as there are many different people in this world.

People describe life in many different terms: as a circus, a minefield, a roller coaster, a puzzle, a symphony, a journey, and a dance. People have said, “life is a carousel: sometimes you’re up, sometimes your down, and sometimes you just go round and round” and so on. But I should ask myself, how I picture my own life, I wonder what image would come into my mind, and whatever image comes would be a metaphor of my life. People often express their life metaphor through clothes, jewellery, cars, hairstyles, bumper stickers, even tattoos. But our unspoken life metaphor influences our lives more than we realize and it determines our expectations, values, relationships, goals and priorities. For example, if I think life is a party, my primary value in life would be to have fun. If I see my life as a race, I will value speed and will probably be in a hurry most of the time. If I viewed my life as a marathon, I’d value endurance. If I see my life as a battle or a game, winning will be very important to me.

So what is my view of life? What if I am basing my life on a faulty metaphor?n to fulfil the purposes God made you for, you will have to challenge conventional wisdom and replace it with the Biblical metaphors of life. There are three metaphors that teach us God’s views of life:
Life is a test, life is a trust, and life is a temporary assignment.  These ideas are the foundation of purpose-driven living.

Life on earth is a test. This is seen in the Bible stories. God continually tests people’s character, faith, obedience, love, integrity, and loyalty. Words life trials, temptations, refining, and testing occur more than 200 times in the Bible. God tested Abraham by asking him to offer his son Isaac; Jacob was tested when he had to work extra years to earn Rachel as his wife.
Adam and Eve failed their test in the Garden of Eden, and David failed his tests from God on several occasions but the Bible does give many examples of people who did past the great test, such as Joseph, Ruth, Ester and Daniel.

Character is developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test. We are always being tested. God constantly watches us for our responses to people, problems, success, conflicts, illness, disappointment and even the weather. Even the most simplest actions such as opening the door for others, picking up a rubbish or being polite to the genitor or the gardener; God watches all our actions. We don’t know all the tests God will give, but we can predict that it will be based on the Bible.

We will also be tested by major chances, delayed promises, impossible problems, unanswered prayers, undeserved criticism, and even senseless tragedies. God also will test my faith through problems, tests my hope by how I handle possessions, and tests my love through people. The major test in life will be how we act when we cannot feel God’s presence in our lives.

A king named Hezekiah experienced this test. Hezekiah had enjoyed a close fellowship with God, but at a crucial point in his life God left him alone to test his character, to reveal a weakness, and to prepare him for more responsibility.

When I realize that life is a test, nothing is insignificant in my life. Even the smallest incident has significance for your character development. Every day is an important day, and every second is a growth opportunity to deepen my character, to demonstrate love, or to depend on God. Some tests may seem overwhelming, while others you don’t even notice. But all of them have eternal implications.
Character is both developed
And revealed by tests,
And all of life is a test

 The good news is that God wants me to pass the tests of life, so He will never allow me to face a test that is greater than the grace He gives me to handle.

“God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out.”

Every time we pass a test, God notices and makes plans to reward me in eternity.

“Blessed are those who endure when they are tested, when they pass the test, they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him”

Life on earth is a Trust. This is the second biblical metaphor of life. Energy, intelligence, opportunities, relationships and resources here on earth are all gifts from God and He has entrusted this in my care and management. We are stewards of whatever God gives us.

Nothing here on earth is ours; it is loaned to us from God while we are here. It was God’s property before I arrived, and God will loan it to someone else after I die. This world lives by: “If you don’t own it, you won’t take care of it.” But Christians live by a higher standard: “Because God owns it, I must take best care of it that I can.”

“Those who are trusted with something valuable must show they are worthy of that trust.”
 Jesus often referred to life as a trust and told many stories to illustrate this responsibility toward God.

At the end of our lives here on earth we will be evaluated and rewarded according to how well we handled what God hath entrusted to us on earth. This means that EVERYTHING that I do, even the SIMPLE DAILY CHORES, has eternal implications. If I treat everything as trust, God promises three rewards in eternity:

God will say to me: “Well done!” then I will receive a promotion and be given a greater responsibility in eternity and finally, I will be honoured with a celebration.


The more God gives me,
The more responsible He
Expects me to be

Most people fail to realize that money is both a test and a trust from God. God uses finances to teach us to trust him, and for many people, money is the greatest test of all. God watches how we use money to test how trustworthy we are.

IF YOU ARE UNTRUSTWORTHY OF ABOUT WORLDLY RICHES, WHO WILL TRUST YOU WITH THE RICHES OF HEAVEN”

This is a very important truth. There is a direct relationship between how I use my money and the quality of my spiritual life. How I manage my money (worldly wealth) determines how much God can trust me with spiritual blessings (true riches). Let me ask you:
Is the way I manage your money preventing God from doing more in my life? Can I be trusted with spiritual riches?

“From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with mu, much more will be asked.”

Life is a test and a trust, and the more God gives you, the more responsible He expects you to be.

Point to ponder: Life is a test and a trust

Verse:
“He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.” (Luke 16:1)

Question to Consider:
What has happened to me recently that I now realize was a test from God? What are the greatest matters God has entrusted to me?

(A Purpose-Driven Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment